I saw an article in the Toronto Star about Facebook banning pictures of breastfeeding mothers.
One mother discovered that pictures of breastfeeding her son had been deleted, and received an email warning her not to post pictures with "nudity, drug use, or other obscene content."
Something similar happened on Livejournal last year when they banned default icons that depicted breastfeeding, calling them "inappropriate".
These sites have taken a stance that alienates a fairly large segment of their userbase. 52% of the population is female, and I can’t help but think about the percentage of women who will be breastfeeding at some point in their lives, versus the percentage of people who might be offended by pictures of breastfeeding.
I suppose it must be difficult for these sites, constantly dealing with violations of their Terms of Service, trying to define the blurry line between acceptable and unacceptable content. But still. Even those who don't breastfeed were still aware of the issue when it came up. Parents of young children are often the driving force in campaigns to “clean up” the net. What a way to create a loyal userbase, telling mothers that pictures of breastfeeding their children are on par with pornography and other "offensive material". Do they really want to send this kind of message to their customers? I don't think they thought about the demographics of their userbase when they made this ban.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment