Monday, September 04, 2006

Warning - long post!

Hey all! I have an hour between classes, so I'm going to make one big long update post. please forgive typo's, i'm not proof-reading.

So. I'm in with my family and guess what. Yes, they have internet.

No, I am not allowed to use it.

..............AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only plug in is in their room, so I understand, but it's like putting cocaine in front of a drug addict.

SO. I will try to go on the net around 9 o'clock in the morning my time, 8 o'clock mommy's time, I-don't-know-o'clock everyone else's time. So talk to me!

I don't have classes until 10, sometimes 11 or 12, so if i leave the house at 8 I will get to the school around 8:45, i think. We'll see how that goes. I need to get a backpack big enough to carry my laptop.

Commuting to School

I have to bike like 2 minutes to the train station, which is sketchy because I haven't ridden in like 10 years. Cars and bikes both use the roads. I almost got killed 10 times. SCARY.

Then the train is like 15-20 minutes i think. I can go the extra stop and walk 10-15 min. to the school, or get off at the city and take the bus RIGHT to the doors of the school. The train pass for 3 months was only 70$. The bus pass is THREE HUNDRED!!!

So i am going to be walking most of the time. Only when it's disgustingly hot, or disgustingly cold will i take the bus. Like today. I got lost trying to find the school, so my 15 minute walk took an HOUR and a HALF. I almost died of the heat. My clothes were soaked with sweat. Everyone is like "Oh, you must not be used to this in Canada" And i'm like, no, Canada gets really hot too, I just never voluntarily go outside because I hate this kind of heat. Luckily I found a lady who was walking right past the school, and she lead me there.

Oh! Before i forget. We went to Kyoto to shop and spent ALL day there. Heather(roommate, not cousin), this is for you: I found a loveless artbook!! Pretty pictures EVERYWHERE!

My Host Family

So my host family doesn't speak english per se, but they know enough "Engrish" that we get along. Like In-Ta-Net-O(internet) and Wa-King-u(walking). We actually manage to have conversations! There were only a few times where I had NO idea what the verb in the sentence was and couldn't figure out what they were saying. My japanese is getting better by the day!

My room is surprisingly big. Bigger than the room I had in our old house in Trenton. I will take pictures. BUT! It's a tatami mat floor(look it up on google), and you put the futon away every morning, and there is literally nothing else in the room once you put away the futon. It's a big empty room. There's a small connecting room that's hardwood floor with a desk, and dresser drawers and stuff, but still. It's an empty room! It took me hours to put my stuff away because I had no idea where to put it all. There's a little wicker basket thing with drawers on wheels that I use.


Anyway. I'm running out of things to say, so i will stop now because you are all probably tired of reading. I will update as soon as i can!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, did you purchase the book???!!

Candice said...

DUH! Of course I bought it!! It was only 20 dollars~! Hardcover! Original never-before-seen drawings! It's so amazing, you have to see it when i get back.

Lesley said...

So are the toilets really like the japanese toilet link you posted earlier? Have you mastered the art of hovering?
Glad to see you're lovin' Japan!

Anonymous said...

candice it sounds like so much fun! boo for walking in the heat, but im sure its worth it... ps that bit about the cocaine andd rug addict almost made me die... i miss my candice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Candice.
My e-mail is pcam@nbnet.nb.ca
Send me your e-mail,and address where you are living in Japan.
Uncle Paul