Sunday, November 11, 2007

brand-free parenting

Alternet.org has an article about parents trying to raise their kids brand-free, and how hard it is to do with all the marketing that is aimed at kids and parents.

This article made me really think about my goals as a PR professional. What kind of job do I want? I don't want to be the person who tries to "trick" people into buying products. With everything I do, I will have to look at myself and ask, do I have a legitimate reason for wanting to get the public's attention? Am I just trying to get them to buy something from my company?

I want to make sure everything I do is done with openness and honesty. The main point I took from the articles was this: don't treat people as consumer's, as a target market. Think about the value your work has on the world.

No comments: