Sunday, October 15, 2006

Noh performance and Chinatown

Noh Performance

The Noh performance on tuesday was really great! I mean, no it wasn't exciting or exhilarating or anything, but it was really great to watch. Every movement was perfectly calculated, every music note was carefully played. We had the translation, so we understood the story. Plus the costumes were awesome! I wanted to take a picture, but that would have been so rude.

Also, I was surprised because there was also a traditional comedy performance too! We only had a summary for that, but even without a translation, the facial expressions and acting were so good we could tell what was happening. It was about two travelling samurai who run into a poor man and force him to carry their swords while they travel, even though he is busy and going the opposite way. They treat him really badly and like a servant, and when they made fun of him, he would laugh and smile as if he thought it was funny, but when he turned his back on them and faced the audience, he had that "oh my god i hate them so much" expression on his face. It was hilarious. Eventually he steals their weapons, and forces them to them do embarrassing things to get back at them. He tells them to strip down to their underclothes, to act like dogs, and to do a stupid children's dance, and every time they shake their heads and cross their arms and go "no, no way, I am NOT doing that!" And every time he charges at them with the sword and they throw their hands up over their heads and go "okay okay okay, I'll do it!" Funniest comedy ever!

Class trip to Kobe and Chinatown

On Saturday I went on a class trip to Kobe, and we went to Chinatown. Yes, there's a Chinatown in Japan. I bought the CUTEST stuffed panda that walks when you put batteries in. Except! At the store it played a cute music box type melody that was really nice. When I brought it home and turned it on, it let loose the most piercing, shrieking godawful noise I have EVER heard! I need to find the voice box and destroy it. Aside from that, the walking panda is so cute.

Studying

On Sunday I studied for midterms. I feel like all I do is take exams. It sucks. But I'm doing really good, so that's okay.



I have a small dilemma about some vacations plans, but I'll wait until another day to post it. I haven't really done anything else since the last update, so that's all the exciting news I have for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh candice! we miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Candice...It sounds like it is so awesome there....on the other side of the world!!! The pics of you on here are so cute...as always;)
Take care honey and good luck with everything you do!
Lots of love,
Susan from shoes